Saturday, April 1, 2017

Where Are We? Day 240

Every 30 days, we mark where we are with a picture and a look back at what we've done.  We spent Day 210 in Singapore, Day 180 in Sri Lanka, Day 150 in Thailand, Day 120 in Vietnam (Can Tho), Day 90 in Vietnam (Hanoi), Day 60 in China, Day 30 in Russia, and Day 1 in Belgium.  Here's our Day 240 review!


Picture Taken:  At the summit of the Crown Range (near Queenstown), on our drive from Franz Josef Glacier to Te Anau, New Zealand.

What is one of your favorite things that we did in the past 30 days?

Bob:  The Tongariro Alpine Crossing, because I enjoyed the long distance hike and the beauty of the area.
Meghan:  Picking up my parents in Auckland--we planned for almost a year to travel together, so it was really exciting to start this phase of our trip.
Emmett:  Seeing Mamama and Dadada because it is really fun to travel with them.
Colin:  Meeting Mamama and Dadada because I was excited to see them.

What is something you haven't liked?

Bob:  I didn't like that the weather prevented a heli-hike adventure, but maybe we'll go back one day.
Meghan:  This last 30 days has been a pretty easy phase of traveling, since New Zealand's language, culture, and foods are not so different from our own.  Perhaps the long flight from Kuala Lumpur (I'm really have to stretch here)?
Emmett:  I feel like there's gotta be something, but I can't think of what it is.
Colin:  There wasn't something I didn't like.

What is something you've learned?

Bob:  I learned about the violent early history of Melaka, its importance as a trade port, the negative impact it suffered due to its Portuguese colonization, and its eventual loss of colonial significance following the rise of Singapore.  I also enjoyed reading the legends that tell how the two cities, Melacca and Singapore were named.
Meghan:  I learned about how New Zealand was formed with a treaty between the indigenous people and the European colonists.  It's a unique political agreement that continues to shape New Zealand to this day.
Emmett:  I learned about science with Dadada.
Colin:  I learned how to measure the speed of sound with Dadada.

What is something you are looking forward to in the next 30 days?

Bob:  Seeing unique wildlife in Tasmania.
Meghan:  I'm looking forward to seeing the iconic Sydney Opera House!
Emmett:  Seeing animals like kangaroos, Tasmanian Devils, and koalas in Australia.
Colin:  Going to the beach in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment