Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Where Are We? Day 120

Every 30 days, we mark where we are with a picture and a look back at what we've done.  We spent Day 90 in Vietnam (Hanoi), Day 60 in China, Day 30 in Russia, and Day 1 in Belgium.  Here's our Day 120 review!


Picture taken:  In Can Tho, Vietnam

What was one of your favorite things we did in the past 30 days?

Colin:  The cave that we swam in.
Emmett:  Vinpearl Land because the water park was really fun.
Meghan:  Visit rural Vietnam.  The dense jungle, mountains, and coastlines were really beautiful.
Bob:  The Vietnamese food.  I had been looking forward to Thailand for the food there and had not considered the food in Vietnam.  I found it to be incredibly fresh and really good, with a lot of variety.

What is something you haven't liked?

Colin:  I didn't like that cars would literally run you over.
Emmett:  I didn't like all the scooters because I just felt like it was a lot of noise and I didn't think they were very good for the Earth.
Meghan:  The humidity.  I grew up in a humid place but I have lost my tolerance and can't quite get used to it here!
Bob:  Pollution.  I am continuously surprised by the amount of pollution in terms of debris and litter that I continue to see in Southeast Asia.

What is something you've learned?

Colin:  I learned that there is a bomb that can destroy a 100 meter radius and is dropped from a C-130.
Emmett:  I learned that the North Vietnamese made tunnels to protect against the Americans.
Meghan:  I learned quite a bit more about the Vietnam War and about the long term impact of conflict.  Seeing the impact of war on a country's landscape, people, and national psyche, even 40+ years later, is really impressionable.
Bob:  I have definitely learned more about the Vietnam War.  As my high school history class only made it through the beginning of World War I, I never studied the Vietnam War.  Visiting the country, I learned a significant amount about what transpired, though I often had to look at what I was seeing, reading, or hearing through an anti-American propaganda filter.

What is something you're looking forward to in the next 30 days?

Colin:  I look forward to staying in a nice hotel.
Emmett:  The temples of Angkor Wat.
Meghan:  The temples of Angkor Wat!
Bob:  The temples of Cambodia.



No comments:

Post a Comment